Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Kenny Chesney - You And Tequila ft. Grace Potter (+playlist)





Kenny Chesney is probably one of my favorite Country Artists, and I have always liked this song. It is not a new song, but there are some good points to the song.

I don't know about everyone else, but surely you all have one of those relationships that was not good for you, yet you kept hanging on to it.  This song is about someone who is no good, kinda like tequila. I am not a tequila drinker, but I get the meaning.

I had one of those relationships in college. He was an army brat and had spent most of his high school years in Germany, and maybe that was part of the appeal, but for some reason he was one of those that I just couldn't break away from.

It wasn't a good relationship as he alienated me from friends and family, which should have been the first warning sign, but I just couldn't walk away. He kept pulling me back every time I tried to make a run for it. The relationship lasted three years, which was three years too long!

As I look back now, I can't say that I regret the relationship because it mae me who I am now, and it put me into the place that allowed me to find my husband.  What I can say is that I do regret the way I behaved during the relationship. I allowed him too much control on my life, leading me to draw away from friends and family, depending on him alone, and to lie to some important people in my life.  I wish I had seen the issues with the relationship and not behaved in that way, but then again I learned from it and it made me who I am today.

Every time I hear this song it takes me back to that time in my life, and I am thankful that I finally was able to break free of the relationship and to find something better and more healthy. That being said it is not a relationship that I would want to talk to me teenagers about now, or would want them to experience.

Music brings memories to mind and as good as that can be, I find more and more that it also reminds me that my kids are approaching that age when they are dating and I hope that they do not experience this type of relationship. I know that the song does open communication channels with my kids, and I love that. We will be in the car and they will ask what a song means, this then allows us to talk about the song and what I want for them and what I don't want them to experience.

Music relates to life and even with the memories of an experience, this song is still one that I enjoy listening to.

No comments:

Post a Comment